Monday, April 13, 2015

Gramatik | Native Son | Ft. Raekwon & Orlando Napier



Gramatik unleashes the first single from his forthcoming EP Epigram, premiering it live at Coachella! “Native Son” features Raekwon and Orlando Napier.

“”Native Son” was written by Orlando. He came by my place one day, played the rhodes and sang it for me casually, and I was like holy shit, we have to make this tune! We ended up making it a two-part song, with “Native Son Prequel” being the second track, which will also be on Epigram. Both parts talk about a kid that grew up hard on the streets of NYC, each song addressing a different period in his life. “Native Son” is how he reflects on his younger years, while “Native Son Prequel” is him living the younger years. The reflective part felt perfect for a Raekwon verse to me, so I sent it to him, thinking nothing would come of it, but much to my surprise, he liked it and said yes. The rest is history. :)”

No comments:

Post a Comment